Facing dental emergencies can be really difficult if you are not aware of what to do exactly. You need to realize that the primary challenge faced during these emergencies is the sudden onset of the problem. To add on, most of these dental emergencies are life-threatening if not addressed on time.
Here at West Olds Dental, we have always tried to educate people about oral care along with providing quality dental treatments. Keeping this in mind, we have come up with a blog that will discuss common dental emergencies and what to do if you face them. It is also necessary to know that not every oral problem can be counted as dental emergencies. Going through the section below will help you get clarity about this topic.
What is a Dental Emergency?
Before letting you know about common dental emergencies, it is imperative to know what they actually are. Well, dental emergencies can be defined as oral problems that need immediate attention to save the tooth, get rid of tremendous pain, or stop bleeding. Just be careful to realize that dental emergencies cannot wait for two days to be treated. You need to rush to an emergency dentist nearby.
5 Common Dental Emergencies
Maintaining a proper oral hygiene routine and taking care of your gums and teeth can help avoid dental emergencies. But, even after investing time and effort in dental care, there are chances of facing dental emergencies. The best Street Olds dentist is providing you with the 5 common dental emergencies in the pointers below:
- Severe Toothache – Suffering from a severe toothache can be the reason for discomfort. This problem can be caused due to an infection in your teeth or gums. Numerous other reasons can contribute to you feeling the pain. Sometimes, a food particle can stay stuck in between two teeth that can start to hurt you. Having infected tooth pulp can also be a reason. In any case, do not wait to see if the pain reduces with time. Visit an emergency dentist as early as possible. You can apply some cold compress on the area of pain until you reach the dental office.
- Chipped or Cracked Teeth – Having a cracked or chipped tooth is a very common dental emergency. It can happen due to you biting down on hard food items or using your teeth to do unusual things other than chewing food. It is advisable to never ignore such issues. Try to see your emergency dentist immediately. Dentists say that clenching your teeth at night can be the reason for this problem. If you have a chipped or cracked tooth, do pick up the fallen fragments. Rinse them properly and then put them in a glass of water or glass. Reach the dental office to fix the issue.
- Loose or Knocked-out Teeth – A tooth can get knocked out if you get involved in an accident or go through some kind of facial impact. This is a common dental emergency and can be the reason for serious pain and discomfort. If you go through such a problem, do not wait to get in touch with an emergency dentist. Be sure that you pick up the fallen tooth (if possible). You should never pick the tooth by the roots. Instead, hold it by the crown part. And re-insert it back into the socket. If this is not possible in your case, keep the fallen tooth in a glass of milk or water. Go to the nearest dental office.
- Missing or Loose Teeth Restorations – Having a missing or loose teeth restoration can also be considered to be a dental emergency. The chances of facing such an issue increase if you have temporary teeth restorations. Do consult your dentist in case of such issues.
- Soft Tissue Injury – Lastly, the human mouth is surrounded by soft tissues. So, having any sort of injury in the soft tissues is also a dental emergency. This involves injury in the gums, cheek, lips, walls inside your mouth, etc. Aj injury can lead to bleeding and pain. Do not panic and reach your nearby dental office.
We hope that you now know what are common dental emergencies and the tips to handle them. Contact West Olds Dental if you are looking for the best dental emergency treatment in Street Olds. We take pride in having the best emergency dentist in time who is adept at dealing with any sort of emergency. Give us a call when in need.